Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Marva's life

Philippians 1.20-21
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (NIV)

Marva is whole and well again today, but not the way we had hoped and prayed for the last 10 years she lived with cancer. My temptation is to be disappointed that God did not act to heal her body -- I imagine how thankful we would have been, how amazed the doctors would have been, and wonder what could God have been thinking?!

But for Marva, to live was Christ. She bore her suffering and pain without complaining, because she was constantly reminded that that her strength did not come from her body but from the Spirit of God living in her. She knew that the worst disease she would ever face had already been cured. In his death on the cross, Jesus broke the hold that sin had on her. And in his resurrection from death, Jesus showed that the cure was complete and permanent.

Marva did not die yesterday. She died to sin and to this world the day she became a Christian, trusting in Jesus Christ's death on her behalf. Yesterday, when the doctors pronounced her dead, Marva became truly alive for all eternity at her Savior's side, to love and worship him without pain and without ceasing.

My Lord and my God, be exalted in my body whether by life or by death, as you have exalted yourself in Marva's life on Earth and her entry to eternal life with you!

No comments: